Friday, October 14, 2011

Dyeing with Turmeric.











What color you get when dyeing with this sweet smelling, richly colored spice! Used to dye monk's robes, this spice dye doesn't even require a pre mordant, although I found the color richest on the fabric that had been treated before hand.
4 ounces of ground turmeric in about a gallon of water, bring to a low rolling boil and then simmer for about a half hour. Submerge your fabric in the hot soup, or take it off the burner and do your dyeing outside. Allow your pieces to dry and then rinse well in cold water.
There were a few pieces I wasn't too pleased with and decided I would re-dye them. I thought, why not give the pieces a dip in an ash water mordant (literally fireplace ash in water), and - voila! The yellow turned to red! I experimented dipping fern in the ash water and made some prints. Alchemy at it's finest.

No comments:

Post a Comment