Thursday, October 13, 2011

Dyeing for a change.





Maybe it's the falling leaves that are calling for me to join them and lay down the past, let go and begin a new season.
In my quest to use all things organic or repurposed I have started to learn about the natural dyeing processes used for hundreds of years before we started polluting our grounds with toxic chemicals. Not all plant matter is safe either, or ethically harvested and manufactured, so some research had to be done. I am just scratching the surface, but learn more everyday.
My first foray into this realm was making eco bundles, as illustrated in India Flint's book, Eco Colour. These were hot bundles, pre mordanted and then wrapped tightly and steamed in a stainless steel veggie steamer for 45 minutes. Then I dried the fabric, and pounded fern into the fabric with a rubber mallet. After everything was dry, I silk screened over the plant images.

No comments:

Post a Comment